Monday, August 20, 2018

Solid Weekend of Training



A great solid weekend of training.  I am getting more fit, getting my heart-rate in my Zone 3 for long periods of time and feeling more comfortable. It’s a little bit of a stretch to get it into my Zone 4 and keep it there, but I am working on it. 


My weekend workouts are my longer ones keeping my shorter cardio workouts and weight sessions during the week. 
Last weekend I was able to get a seven mile run in on Saturday. It was very hot and muggy early in the day, but got it done. Followed it up Sunday with a 34 mile road ride with some good climbing. A 3.5 mile hill climb to be in fact. Bouncing back from the workouts is getting easier. 
I worked this weekend on fueling a little better than last week. Hydration played a key roll in Sunday’s ride. 
To help me stay on top of my hydration game and keeping cool, I really relied on heavily the use of my Spruzza Mist system. The hill climb had me going around 8 MPH so a lot of the cooling air effect wasn't kicking in. The added misting I did, spraying both my chest, opening up my jersey in the front, and misting both sides of my head and ears really kept me from over heating. I knew early on in the ride, I was going to be using it a lot with the hot sun rising as fast as it was without cloud cover. 
It’s amazing what either a new pair of shoes can do or not running in “zero-drop” shoes.  I can’t tell because the shoes I have been running in the past year are really broken down, or the “zero-drop” shoes they were made my legs sore. After wearing and testing out a new set of kicks on Saturday’s seven mile run, I recovered very fast and didn’t feel it the next day. 
I should have done this a long time ago, but just kept putting it off. 
Training is going well and I am very happy where I am at this point in the game. 

No comments: