Friday, August 24, 2018

My lungs and breathing have never felt better





Not as much training as I planned this week, but had some key workouts completed. Trying to keep my power up while running, using the Stryd, power pod on my foot to measure just that.  
Synched with my Suunto Spartan, I can set a target heart rate or power output during a workout. 
I had a slower recover run last Monday, but still felt good afterwards. 
Thursday night, I set up my watch to keep me in my Zone 4 during a two mile run. I wanted to see first off what my power output in that zone is, and also hoped that keeping my heart rate there for the two miles would not have me totally gasping for a breath. 
It worked. I started off taking a little bit to get my heart rate up and then into my Zone 4.  An early downhill jaunt was not the trick, but quickly I had to work harder climbing up out a the area I was just in. Locked into my Zone 4 and just kept plugging away. On the more level ground I had some good speed and was still able to stay in the zone. The course was a one mile loop, I was doing twice. Of course my heart rate was going to go down a little on the descend, but I pushed hard and ran downhill faster to keep it up. Hitting the uphill I had to look down at my watch a few times because it kept warning me to slow down. I had my heart rate into Zone 5.  Pulled back a little on the speed but never fell out of my Zone 4.  Finished one of my fastest back to back miles in 10 minutes each.  I typically average a 12 minute mile as of late with a lot focus on the long steady distance, so not to go all out and blow up fast. 
I am very excited about my accomplishment and my lungs and breathing have never felt better. 
Looking back, could have I pushed myself to be faster, maybe so, but I wanted to stick in the Zone 4 and see where that would put me. 
Looking forward to a good weekend of cycling and running, hoping to get some trail miles in on Sunday.