Monday, January 7, 2019

100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge here in Maricopa County


I live and work in Maricopa County, here in Arizona. For the first time, this year, I have signed up for their 100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge. Helping promote getting outside and being active. With the holidays and busy schedules it sometimes is hard. The county’s parks provide over 420 miles of outdoor adventure. Many of the trails on in Usery Regional Park and San Tan Regional Park I have ventured on either running, hiking or mountain biking. I was up for the challenge. My training hits a low during the time of year, but I took on the challenge wanting to keep up my training over the winter months. The miles are calculated using your GPS device or you can download their app they created for the challenge. Hikers and runners need to get in 100 miles while the mountain bikers and horseback riders need to reach a distance of 200 miles. There are some other requirements that must be met to finish the challenge. Take a look here for more info, or if your interested in signing up yourself, for locals here in Arizona. 


With the hiking I have done with my wife in San Tan or trail run training or racing I have done, it took a big chunk out of reaching the goal. With my mountain biking, I was put in the category where I would need to hit 200 miles. Hitting weekend morning 11 or more mile loops in the park I could get the distance in. 
Yesterday, Saturday, I was able to get in a great 25 mile ride in Usery, even hitting a new trail that opened up, called the Chain Fruit trail. The new trail is open to hikers, bikers and horseback riders. 
It’s been a great way to keep the training going over the winter. 

No comments: