Friday, November 16, 2018

Xterra trail run at San Tan Mountain Regional Park Race Report




I was actually able to get a good nights sleep, the night before. In my head I just kept my thoughts calm and acted like I was just going into another long training run in the morning. 
I arrived early, as I still needed to pick up my packet/number/shirt etc. 
It was cold outside for me, so I dressed in a long sleeved shirt and warm up pants. I also had a coat on while walking around and stretching. 
While walking around I started drinking my pre-workout supplement about a half-hour before the start. 
I knew the weather was suppose to stay cooler, but I wanted to make sure I didn't over dress. So I opted for just my Arctic Cool shirt and my running shorts. I stashed two energy bars and two gels in my Orange Mud hydra-quiver along with a water bottle with some electrolytes in it. 
I planned on using what I was carrying for emergency purposes, and using the water and other nutrition from the four aid stations they were going to have on the course. 
The race started on time. It took me about two miles to warm up and get in a groove. There was one incline during the portion of the trail, and I kept running a pretty good pace up it. 
The next part I would encounter on the trail, was the part I got lost on during a training run, two weeks prior. The course was marked really well with ground markers on stakes and tied in the branches of trees. This portion of the trail is mainly in a desert wash. This made for tough running, like in sand along a beach. There was a four mile stretch of this, at times, thick sand. 
Climbing up out of the wash, I knew the trail was going to be more single track and hard packed trail. 
I was feeling good and was monitoring my heart rate, to not go out to fast and blow up. 
My upper legs were feeling tired from the motion of having to pick them up so high from the sandy wash area. 
The rest of the trail after coming out of the wash, I knew what to expect elevation-wise. When to rest up and walk if needed and when the down hill run could help me gain some time. On the backside of Dynamite trail, I know is a good 1.5 mile downhill before heading up the Goldmine trail. The saddle at Goldmine trail hits at about mile 12.5 and a good downhill from there to the finish line. 
I ended up fast walking up Goldmine trail. I was happy after getting to the top, knowing I was within two miles from the finish. 
I beat my person goal by almost 20 minutes to finish the 14 mile trail run. 




I plan on taking some time off, but know where I need to begin to get faster and improve myself overall for my cycling, mountain biking and running in 2019. 



No comments: