Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Customizing comfort on your ride


This is the factory grips that came with my bike. They are decent, but could be better. 

I believe the easiest way to customize your comfort on your bike, whether it is your road bike or mountain bike, it to focus on the three points at which your body makes contact with the bike. I’m talking about your hands (handlebars), butt (seat) or your feet (pedals).   With your hands you can customize your handlebar grips, the bars themselves or maybe even the wrap you put on them. You can also change up for your hands, gloves. Some with more cushion in certain parts of the glove, finger less, full finger, etc. When it comes to your butt or your seat, you can choose gel seats or a seat that allows only for your sit bones to make contact with it. There is also the option of the padding you wear in your shorts. A gel pad, a thicker chamois, etc.  For feet you have a few options there too. Shoes, pedals and lets not forget the socks. Thicker socks, no show, moisture wicking, etc. The three contact points on the bike can be totally customized for your comfort. In speaking of comfort, I recently swapped my grips on my mountain bike. I have been riding with the stock grips for the past eight months. They seem to be missing cushion. I switch back and forth using gloves to not using gloves. A major bonus in using gloves while out on the desert mountain bike trails is protection if I fall. Not just scrapping along the rough rocky ground but possibly falling into a cactus. In switching the grips, I did some research, wanting a good cushion but a better thicker grip. I went with the ESI Chunky grips. Super easy to install, using a little bit of rubbing alcohol to help them slide on the bars, installed the end plugs. Took no more than five minutes. No Allen wrenches needed or any tools.  Took my first ride on them last week and I am very impressed with their feel.  They may not be fore everyone, but they are worth a try. So when it comes to customizing your comfort on your ride, think about the three points in which you make contact with you bike and start from there. 


Easy to install in minutes and feel great out on the trails. 




No comments: