Monday, September 17, 2012

Off the road and on the trail


Saturday morning I hit the trails instead of the road.  I rode in McDowell Mountain Regional Park, just north of Fountain Hills here in AZ.  It has been awhile since I rode my mountain bike.  I had it set up with slicks using it on my rollers for indoor workouts at home.  I put some new rubber on the rims and set out on the 10.1 mile outer loop.  In early November, I have been asked to be the fourth member of a team which will ride the course for 24 hours, always having one of our riders on the trail.  The loop was a great workout I did with two other guys that morning.  It really opened my eyes to what mountain bike riding is again.  Always changing gears and using the brakes.  Having to stay totally focused on the terrain and trying to be predictive of whats around the next turn.  The trail is very nice. Cacti, trees, and jagged rocks are all part of the sometimes narrow trail.  I have a lot  to learn on the trail before race day.  It will be a lot of fun.  So with my mountain bike training on the one weekend day, it still leaves the other for road riding by myself or with a group.

No comments: