Tuesday, November 7, 2017

2017 Showdown at Usery Race Report

Race Day Recap



8 Hours of the Showdown at Usery Mountain Regional Park. 

It was awesome. I felt much better than last year, physically and mentally. The training leading up to it was tough, as I had a cold and some allergy issues about two weeks out from race day.  I tried everything to speed the recovery along.  Olbas oil in the humidifier was a huge help. 








The team I was on, of four riders, representing Gold Canyon Hearing, hit our expected goals to keep on track. The 10 mile course looked like this. 



*1:  51:40*
2:  46:40 
3:  52:20 
4:  47:37 
*5:  50:37* 
6:  46:42 
7:   54:39  
8:  48:48 
9:   47:57 
*10:  53:13*

*Official chip timed laps* 

Race morning stretched and warmed up in the campsite we were staying at. Felt hydrated and had a +Greens meal replacement, +PlusShake about an hour before the start along with a +Greens +PlusBar, Chocolate Energy. 



Bike was set to go the night before, everything dialed in and adjusted. 
I knocked out my first lap, including the 400 yard LeMans running start, with these times being recorded by my Suunto Spartan WR in 51:57, my second lap in 50:42 and third lap in 53:09. 

Felt strong after the run and getting on the bike.  My heart rate was a little high, but with the excitement I expected that. 
Between the laps I rode, I kept hydrated with water and kept food going in. 



Along with the +Greens +PlusBar, Chocolate Energy bar and +Greens +PlusBar, Natural Bar with 18 grams of protein, I also prepared small containers of white rice with mango mixed in for the carbohydrates as I was burning


1116 calories on the first lap  
1020 calories on my second lap 
and
946 calories on my last lap in the dark. 

The course was a mix of soft and hard desert. Winding turns and as the day went on some portions of the trail were very powdery. There is one optional section of the race where you can climb the Cat Peaks By-Pass, instead of riding the full distance around, possibly for some shaving some time and distance off their lap. 


I am not a huge fan of sports drinks, as the sugar content tends to upset my stomach, but stayed hydrated all day using PickleJuice to keep electrolytes in my system helping stay hydrated and avoid cramping. The weather started off cooler than usual with some cloud cover, and even a sprinkling of rain. That changed as the day went on as the heat arrived later on. 


We ended the 8 Hour race with 10 laps and a time of 08:20:08. As long as we crossed the start/finish line before the end of the eight hours, which we did. We were able to complete that last lap. 
We finished in the Male Quad division in 10th Place. 

After talking with my team after the race was over, we started thinking of what we can do to get our times even lower than they already are. 


No comments: