Thursday, November 17, 2011

6th is not so bad

Thursday Nov. 17, 2011, I competed in the Ironman Arizona Mayor's Charity Challenge. Was excited to race even if it would be for a short distance of 1/100 of the Ironman distance. The swim of just over 20 yards I came out of the water first and on to my bike, provided by a local bike shop, with all riders riding the same type of beach cruiser. Off on the ride, a 1.12 mile course, in first still until just about half way I was passed by one person. Into the transition I was still in second. Then off on the run where I lost 5 positions on the .26 mile run. The race was super fast and I did it all wearing my wetsuit, goggles, shoes, and helmet. No time for anything extra in transitions. The winner was given a $2000 check from the Ironman Foundation, but all participants received $200 for their charity they were competing for. Mine happen to be for the Pedal Power Foundation, whose mission is to expand the opportunities to improve a child's life one bicycle at a time. My fellow photographer Darryl Webb took some awesome photos of the very quick event.

No comments: